The car is an original, unrestored 1923 Lincoln phaeton with a unique “California top.” The car was placed on loan to the museum by Jack’s daughter, Lisa Passey-Chaffin, who now owns the car. She had attended the grand opening of the Lincoln Motor Car Heritage Museum in August 2014 and saw the museum’s Preservation Display that is dedicated to her late father. That display was funded by the Cabrillo (California) Region of the Antique Automobile Club of America.
Jack acquired the Lincoln in 1949 for $40. He drove it for many years, including his college years at San Joes State, but as his collection of early Lincolns and other Classic automobiles grew it ended up in storage, which lasted 30 years.
In early March the Lincoln was awakened from its long slumber by Lisa, her brother, Bill, her son, Brandon, and a family friend, Linus Tremaine. In addition to getting the Lincoln running the quartet installed a new set of tires. That was all. The car remains as it was when Jack acquired it 67 years ago.
Transportation of the Lincoln from the Passey home in Watsonville, California was provided by Reliable Carriers of Michigan.
Shortly after his passing a memorial fund was established in Jack’s name at the Lincoln Motor Car Foundation.
The type 163B dual cowl sport phaeton by Locke & Company is considered one of the most handsome body styles ever installed on the Lincoln chassis. Locke also designed and built an equally handsome roadster for Lincoln.
This dual cowl sport phaeton was one of more than 30 different body styles available—factory and custom— on the Lincoln chassis in 1928. A total of 150 were built.
Power was supplied by a Leland-designed V-8 that developed 90 horsepower.
The policy of the Lincoln Motor Company was to make subtle changes in their motorcars—in fact, the company did not endorse the concept of annual changes. For 1928 the Leland-designed V-8 now displaced 384.8 cubic inches thanks to a 1/8 inch bore increase. Motor refinements included a counterbalanced crankshaft and an oil filter. Horsepower was rated at 90.
More than 30 different body styles were available—factory and custom— on the 136-inch wheelbase Lincoln chassis in 1928. `Lincoln Motor Company worked with more custom coachbuilders than any other automobile marque. In addition to Locke & Co. their coach building partners included Brunn, Dietrich, Derham, Holbrook, Judkins, LeBaron, Willoughby.
Price of this Lincoln type 163 sport phaeton by Locke was $4,600. A total of 150 were built. Total Lincoln production for 1928 was 6,039.
This rare Lincoln is on loan from Jay Quail of Mequon, Wisconsin.
The Lincoln-Zephyr was introduced for 1936 and was an immediate sales success. It was introduced as a “companion car” to the “big” Lincoln, which sold for several thousand dollars more. It was, arguably, the most successful “streamlined” automobile of its era. Nearly 15,000 were sold in its first year of production.
The 1936 Lincoln-Zephyr was one of the most attractive cars of the 1930s as well as one of the most innovative—and, arguably, the first successful streamlined car sold in the U. S. It featured unibody-type construction and a beautifully designed exterior and interior.
Power came from a V-12 motor, albeit a small one at 267.3 cubic inches. It was essentially a Ford V-8 with four more cylinders. Horsepower was 110. It was built on a 122-inch wheelbase chassis. Two body styles were available in 1936—two-door and four-door sedans.
The Lincoln-Zephyr sold for several thousand dollars less than the “big” Lincoln V-12, which had a base price of $4,500. This Lincoln-Zephyr sold new for $1,320.
This 1936 Lincoln-Zephyr four-door sedan was the recipient of an award-winning restoration before it was acquired by the Ford Motor Company, which later donated it to the Lincoln Motor Car Foundation for display in the Lincoln Motor Car Heritage Museum.